Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, thing on these things.”
The mind is a powerful tool. Honestly, we must realize that the things that we think upon are the things that control our actions as well as our relationships. Our thought-life is the mechanism that builds or breaks our relationship with Christ as well as with others. The Lord gives us a great picture of what should be going through our minds. I would like to identify the things we are to think upon.
- Things That are True – Don’t focus on error when you can hold truth in the backdrop.
- Things That are Honest – There is nothing that brings us more frustrations than a lie. Remember that Satan is the most dishonest being ever to live. Don’t think about the author of lies.
- Things That are Just – God is fair and just. Life is unfair and if we get focused on the unfairness of life we will neglect the fairness of God.
- Things That are Pure – This may take changing a channel, even if it is something as simple as a news broadcast.
- Things That are Lovely – There is nobody more lovely than the Lord. There is nothing uglier than sin.
- Things That are Good Report – The glass can be half-full if you look at through these eyes.
Notice that these things have virtue and at the same time offer praise. They take our minds off the problem and help us to focus on the solution.
Today’s Challenge – Think on these things!