Romans 10:13-15 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Read this very carefully. The Lord teaches us the necessity of human involvement when it comes to God’s plan of salvation. We see the end result at the beginning of this series of questions. We want to see people call upon the name of the Lord and be saved. How does that happen? Paul begins to think backwards in a logical format in order to see the necessity of our evangelistic and discipleship principles. Let’s break this down so that you can see it systematically:
- The goal is for people to call upon the name of the Lord and be saved.
- People will not call upon the Lord unless they first believe. Without faith there is no approach to the Lord.
- They cannot believe something they have never heard. If someone does not hear the gospel then how can they believe it. If they cannot believe it then how in the world are they going to call upon the Lord?
- How are they going to hear without a preacher? Basically, if there is no one proclaiming the gospel then they cannot hear it. If they cannot hear it then they cannot believe it, and if they cannot believe it then they are not going to call upon the Lord.
- How are they going to preach unless they are sent? If we are not equipping people with the ability to proclaim it then they are not going to be able to properly proclaim it. If they never say anything about it then they cannot hear it. If they never hear it they cannot believe it. If they never believe then they will never call upon the name of the Lord. If they do not call upon Him then they will never be saved.
Do you now see the responsibility of the Christian? If people do not hear it then it will not be able to happen. We are living in a time where people are turning away from truth. We are living in a time where people are in desperate need of the gospel. The conditions are right and the time is now!