Avoiding the Things that God Hates (Part 2)
Proverbs 6:16-19 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
Looking over these seven abominations that disgust God we learn that the boundaries God set in our lives are actually demonstrations of his love. God shares the things that he truly hates so that we are able to avoid causing God’s anger to be kindled against us. Here is the list:
- A Proud Look– God hates pride. He resisteth the proud and gives grace to the humble (1 Peter 5:5). Pride is something that hinders the flow of God’s grace in our lives. Pride makes us unusable.
- A Lying Tongue– Lies are something that cannot stand alone. The opposite of a lie is truth. The word of God tells us that truth is what makes us free. Therefore, a lie is something that binds us. We must be people of truth and walk in liberty rather than lying and living in bondage.
- Hands that Shed Innocent Blood– God is the giver and taker of life. We must not try to take job away from him. We have to remember that hatred is at the heart of every murder. In order to keep from shedding innocent blood we must avoid harboring hatred in our heart.
- A Heart that Deviseth Wicked Imaginations– The heart and the mind are woven together. The thoughts of the mind have an effect on the heart. We must guard our hearts and be careful as to what we allow to enter the gates to the soul. If we are not careful we will allow things we see and hear to effect our lives.
- Feet that be Swift in Running to Mischief– The steps of the life usually come from the attitude of our heart. The thoughts and imaginations from the heart have a direct effect on the steps of our feet. The attitude of the heart leads to the steps of our feet.
- A False Witness that Speaketh Lies– We know already that God hates a lying tongue, but this is where someone manipulates situations in order to bring harm or hurt to another. A person that becomes a false witness will disregard truth, damage trust, and destroy testimonies. I have seen a false witness destroy marriages, ruin lives, damage careers, and hurt others.
- Sowing Discord Among Brethren– People that sow division are everywhere among us. However; God promotes unity and downplays differences. It is much easier to be a cause of division rather than a creator of unity. It takes a lot of work to maintain unity. We must continue to strive for unity because God hates discord.
Please remember these three things about each of these:
- Each of these is a characteristic and practice of Satan
- God hates them
- Just because something is an Abomination does not mean that God can’t forgive it.