Avoiding the Things God Hates (Part 1)
Proverbs 6:16-19 “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.”
God hates sin. However; there are times where certain sins disgust God. Therefore, those actions are considered an abomination to God. When we hear the word “abomination” our minds automatically go to homosexuality. While homosexuality is definitely in the list, it is something that does not stand alone. There are other actions that God considers an abomination. In this piece of scripture God list seven things that he considers an abomination. We will look at three of these seven today and will cover the rest next week. Here is a description of each one:
- A proud look. God hates pride. At the same time, God loves humility. Pride is the attitude of the heart that blocks the ability of God’s grace to flow through us. God resist those that are full of pride and gives grace to those that are humble.
- A lying tongue. One of the descriptions of God is that he is a God of truth. Lies, confine us and truth makes us free. A lie cannot stand alone. It constricts and confines us from living in the freed of the truth. We must not live our lives in a lie. We must walk in truth.
- Hands that shed innocent blood. Satan’s agenda is always to kill, steal, and destroy. The agenda of God is to give life and to give it more abundantly. God hates those that take the life of those that are innocent. The life of a baby inside the womb of its mother is supposed to be protect. God loves those who protect life, but hates those that take life.
Please understand that this list is to show us the need for repentance and correction. We must learn to avoid the things that God hates by applying the things that God loves. Are we full of pride? Are we living a lie? Is there so much hate and anger in our heart that we would enjoy the destruction of someone’s life? God hates that kind of attitude and he wants us to avoid those things.
- When you hear the word “abomination” what are some of the things that come to your mind?
- Why is it important to know what God hates rather than what God loves?
- What are some other actions that God calls an abomination?
- When you read this list, which one do you feel like is the biggest struggle among others?